Will Medicare cover my CGM supplies?
When it comes to your diabetes care, your medical devices, particularly your Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) devices are critical to your health. In this blog post, we explore if medicare will cover your CGM supplies, such as the Abbott Freestyle Libre 2 or the Dexcom G6.
Does Medicare cover Dexcom G6 or the Abbott Freestyle Libre 2?
What is the Medicare Coverage Criteria for CGM System Coverage?
Medicare patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes on intensive insulin therapy may be able to obtain reimbursement if the following Medicare coverage criteria are met:
- You have Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes
- You are insulin-treated with three or more daily administrations of insulin or a continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) pump
- Your insulin treatment regimen requires frequent adjustments based on BGM or CGM testing results
- You have had an in-person visit with your treating practitioner to evaluate their diabetes control and determine that the above criteria have been met within six months prior to ordering the CGM
- Every six months following the initial prescription of the CGM, you have an in-person visit with your treating practitioner to assess adherence to your CGM regimen and diabetes treatment plan
- You have a receiver that is compatible with your CGM Supplies and that you use that receiver with your supplies, even if you also use a compatible smart device. *Medicare does not cover CGM supplies that are only used with a smartphone or other mobile device.
For the full list of Medicare coverage criteria, visit the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services website.
How much can I expect to pay for my CGM System through Medicare?
Medicare will cover 80% (after deductible) of the cost of CGM supplies for qualifying beneficiaries. The remaining cost can be forwarded to any secondary or supplemental insurances you may have, or billed or charged to you. For more information on your specific CGM coverage through Medicare, please fill out our benefit checker form. It’s free to do, and a member of our team will help you understand your specific coverage.
Where can Medicare customers get their ongoing CGM supplies?
Get it directly from us!
Reliable Diabetes Care is a family owned business, and our customer service is second to none. To see how much your Medicare will cover, you can fill out the Benefits Checker and a member of our team will help you understand your coverage.
If you’re ready to order, you can Order Here.